Uncategorized02 Mar 2007 05:50 pm
- 2 14.5-oz. cans low sodium diced tomatoes un-drained
- 1 large onion - chopped
- 4 garlic cloves - pressed
- 2 tbsp olive oil - divided
- 2 large carrots - chopped
- 2 small celery stalks - chopped
- 1 medium turnip - chopped
- 2 cups green beans - cut in 1 inch pieces
- 6 cups low sodium chicken broth
- 1/4 head of cabbage - chopped
- 1/2 tsp thyme
- salt and pepper to taste
- In a large soup pot, heat one tbsp of the olive oil over med-high heat. Add the onion and cook until nearly translucent. Now add the garlic - don’t let the garlic brown! Saute another couple of minutes.
- Add the rest of the chopped veggies, sauteing for just a minute or two. You’re not cooking them - just sauteing for the wonderful flavor this step will infuse in your soup. Add thyme and salt and pepper while sauteing.
- Now put the veggies in the crock pot, then add the tomatoes and broth. Cook on low heat setting for 7 -9 hours or hight 4 -6 hours.